Education

Church School

Rev. Bellas opened a church day school in a one storey cottage in Market Place but later removed to a house where the Swan Inn now stands. With his son, Richard, the school continued until his death in 1815.

Town School

Town School in Brougham Road was the first purpose built school in Marsden. It was erected in 1820 at a cost of £400 raised by public subscription. It became known as Mr. Webster's school as he was the first headmaster, staying in post until his death in 1876. He was appointed at the age of 25 and lived in Idle Row. Fees were 10 pence per week.

In 1877 the school was rebuilt at a cost of £1200, again raised by public subscription. Part of a piece of land formerly called the Haum Ing Nook was incorporated to form the girls' playground. William Griffiths, a Welshman, was head during the 1890's and in the early 1900s. In 1879 an Infant's Department was opened in the Mechanics Hall with Miss D. Killin as mistress.

Back Lane

The Church School. Back Lane, was built in 1829 for 134 children with a staff of two. It was financed by public subscription and a 100 pounds grant from the National Society. The first headmaster is not known. The second was Thomas Lawford who took over in 1834. Fie was followed by Mr. Taylor in 1840. Richard Bamford who came from Lingards and lived in Chapel Fold took over in 1845.

The school closed on 21/8/1910 and scholars were transferred to the Town School Infant's Department, having previously transferred the junior school age children to the National School in 1856. The building was then used as a Parish Room until the Parochial Hall was built in 1924/25. This had been precipitated by the Council's plans to demolish property in Church Lane in order to widen it and to extend the graveyard.